Saturday, August 14, 2010

EPL Season Opener - Spurs vs. City

To describe my demeanor as 'excited' for the beginning of this morning's Spurs game would be an understatement. I don't think I can adequately describe how great it feels to have a team playing that can take my mind off the Cubs. Spurs and the start of the Bears season next month should improve my mood considerably. At least I hope.
Back to the excitement. It was the type of sports related excitement I will only experience once. This will mark the first EPL season I follow. There's nothing like following a new sport or a new league for the first time. Everything is new, everything is interesting.
Of course, the unfamiliarity contributes to what amounts to 'growing pains' for a fan. For instance, I don't know each team's roster, not even Tottenham's. I have an idea of who was good last year, but I assume there will be a shakeup based on off season acquisitions.
There's also the danger of assuming what you see in one or a few games applies to the league as a whole. I experienced one of these moments during today's game. I couldn't help but notice there was only two offsides calls the entire game. During the World Cup, I'd see four or five a half. I'd have to assume the lack of offsides calls can be chalked up to each team being more familiar with each other than World Cup rosters would be.
The game was also more wide open than most World Cup games I saw. This would make sense, each World Cup game has higher stakes than the EPL season opener. While both of these observations seem to be factual, only time will tell. It's all part of the learning experience.
Speaking of learning experience, I got my first look at two great players today. The first was Joe Hart. Supposedly he will be England's goalkeeper in 2014, and from what I saw today, I see no reason to dispute that. In fact, Hart earned the draw today single-handed. Even a slightly above average goalie would have allowed at leat two goals in the first half.
Hart reminds me of Tom Brady in a way. I want to hate him, but I can't because he's just that good. Watching Hart smile before the game and while making saves made me think of how Tom Brady smiled after winning his first Super Bowl. It's just the look of those guys that make you hate them. Unless of course either plays for the team you root for.
The second player I was impressed with was Gareth Bale. As a new Spurs fan I'm ashamed that I hadn't read up on him before. Bale was the best Spurs player today, dominating the left side of the field. It's such a huge advantage to play on that side and be left footed. Of course, his dependence on his left foot may have cost Spurs the win. Bale had the best chance of the game to score in the 86th minute with a wide open net off a rebound but couldn't find the net with his right foot.
The last player I'd like to discuss is Peter Crouch. I've made fun of him in the past, but I'd like to quote Alexi Lalas from the pregame show, "[Crouch] looks like a dork out there. But you got to love him. He just scores goals."
After watching him, I do love him. His size will be invaluable this season. In the 11th minute he headed a ball to Defoe, that against a human goalie would have set up a goal. Crouch can win any ball in the air because he's bigger than everyone he'll be going up against. The front line of Crouch and Defoe work well together and have a knack for finding the net. They combined for 36 goals last season.
Hopefully the first game of the season isn't a bad omen for Spurs. Even though they drew, it feels like a loss because of all the opportunities they wasted in the first half. When you haven't won the league in 50 years, these type of games happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment