Thursday, June 10, 2010

Random Musings (Cubs, Tom Izzo, Hawks, USC)

Heading into this week's series, the Brewers were the only NL Central team the Cubs had any success against. Let's take a look at the Cubs record against the other four teams.
Reds (2-4), Pirates (2-6), Astros (2-4), Cardinals (1-2). Amidst that 7-16 travesty, the Cubs managed to handle the Brewers pretty easily, winning 5 of their first 6 against them.
To my amusement, I've taken to calling the Brewers the little brother of the Cubs. Every once in a while they bother you, but you know they're not a legitimate threat. They also try so hard and come off so pathetic that you can't help but love them. With this in mind, I was hoping we could at least take 2 of 3 and salvage what is left of our terrible division record. Despite a barrage of walks, the Cubs managed to take Game 3 to 10 innings, and preceded to lose there, on what is sure to be one of many Bob Howry blown games. I knew my intuition after the first game of the series wasn't failing me...

I think all Bulls fans should be slightly concerned about Tom Izzo's supposed "strong interest" in the Cleveland Cavaliers job. I couldn't imagine Izzo being interested in this job if LeBron isn't coming back. Izzo has a great thing going at Michigan State. He's the best coach in the Big Ten and top 5 in college basketball. He routinely recruits excellent players, both from Michigan and abroad, who fit into his system. Currently he makes 3 million a year, which will surely be chump change compared to whatever the Cavs offer him. I don't know, it just doesn't make sense that he would leave everything at Michigan State to coach a LeBronless (i like that word, that should be in the dictionary) team that would be around .500 competing for the 8th spot in the East every year.

Congratulations to the Blackhawks, who won their first Stanley Cup since 1961. Is it just me, or was that the most anticlimactic championship celebration of all-time? Everyone except Patrick Kane was looking like an off-color joke was just told. Do we laugh at that? Do we celebrate? A scenario like this could only happen in hockey. Hockey is by far the most difficult sport to determine if a goal has been scored or not. I'm not going to lie, I never know if the puck goes in the net, I just wait for the siren and the player's sticks to go up.
I also have to congratulate members of the Hawks who just fell asleep a few hours ago after an extensive night of partying. I'm not one to automatically praise a long night of drinking, as I've been there a few times. But when you can body can sustain a ten hour marathon of drinking after playing an extremely physical, emotion-filled hockey game, I give credit where credit is due.

USC's football program received a 2-year bowl ban, and has been stripped of 30 scholarships over three years after the NCAA determined Reggie Bush received improper benefits. USC also has to forfeit 14 victories during Bush's time there, and there's talk that his 2005 Heisman trophy may be stripped from him as well. Hasn't the man suffered enough?
I mean, Bush has recently upgraded his girlfriend to an equally attractive, younger, smarter, and less annoying version. He has a laundry list of sponsorships, most of which allow him to appear in commercials with his shirt off. He just won a Super Bowl masquerading as a feature back. Leave Bush alone and allow him to try and get his life back on track, I'm sure he's suffering a great deal from the NCAA's ruling.

No comments:

Post a Comment