Monday, May 17, 2010

My Favorite Sports Hair Part 2 (Brandon Jennings)


Recovering from 3rd degree sunburns and waiting to see if I have any pictures worth uploading, I'm going to hold off until tomorrow to write about the Cubs-Pirates game I attended on Sunday. Until then, here's the second installment of my favorite sports hair.

The first time I saw Brandon Jennings was during the 2008 McDonald's All-American game. Admittedly, I don't follow high school basketball, if I had, I would have known this was the most highly acclaimed player of the upcoming college freshman class. If you're interested, head over to Wikipedia and take a look at all the honors he received throughout high school, it's a list as long as Michael Irving's criminal record.

But since I didn't know all this and just assumed he was a one of 24 really good high school players, his high top fade was by far the most impressive thing I saw all game. The McDonald's All-American game is pretty similar to the NBA All-Star game, a lot of unnecessary dribbling, throwing of lobs, 360 dunks, and little defense. You see the same moves every year, but it isn't every year that someone brings back 80s fashion.

Being the fan of late 80s Hip-Hop that I am, I couldn't help but be reminded of Kid from Kid 'N Play, and was secretly hoping that after a made three pointer, Jennings and Greg Monroe would get together at half court and start tapping feet.

The great thing about Jennings his wide array of hair styles. This season he's sported everything from the high top fade, to the gumby (quite possibly the most underrated hair style ever), to twists, to some sort of died mohawk. The not so great thing about Jennings is his shooting percentage (.371).

Even so, Jennings is an exciting player that I really love to watch. He scored 55 points in a game this year, jawed Kevin Garnett heading back into the tunnel after a 86-84 home win over Boston, and apparently has a really active Twitter page with a bunch of followers. None of this however is more exciting than waiting to see which hairstyle he comes up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment