Thursday, May 27, 2010

Celtics Thinking About Promoting Nate Robinson to Cheer Captain

Coming off a 113-92 loss to the Magic in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals, the Celtics are trying to find a way to shake up their roster. After going up 3-0 in the series, the Celtics are now looking at a Game 6 that could potentially tie the series. Celtics coach Doc Rivers thinks he has found the answer.
"I've been thinking, now hear me out," Rivers said after Game 5. "We move Nate [Robinson, PG] to the dance team. We need every advantage we can get in Game 6, so we really need to get the crowd into it. Nate's shown he has the ability to do that."
Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau agreed. "I've been watching a lot of tape of Nate on the sideline and I love what I see. He gets excited on every play, even though he's not actually involved in the action. He jumps up and down, waves his towel, and hugs even his most temperamental teammates."
Added Thibodeau, "We're looking at a guy who cheers all out for about 45 minutes a game. Every once in a while we need to give him a rest and put him out on the court."
"I've noticed how tactful he is when talking trash to the opposing team," said Celtics PF Kevin Garnett, also known for his trash talking. "He specifically picks out the guys he knows won't be out there in the last 30 seconds of the first quarter, or in a blowout. So really, he never has to back up what he says."
Robinson, a 4 year veteran, has won three Slam Dunk Championships, despite being only 5'9. Robinson makes up for his lack of height with a 44 inch vertical leap.
Celtics Dance Team director Marina Ortega is excited about Robinson's possible addition to her staff. "He really opens up the possibilities of what we can do. I mean, with his jumping ability, he won't even need a boost if we decide to do a routine where he flys through the air."
Robinson also seemed open to the switch. "I just want to do what's best for my team. I think the Dance Team can take advantage of my wide array of basketball skills, like...well...pretty much just my jumping ability."
Game 6 between the Celtics and Magic will be played in Boston on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment