Thursday, May 20, 2010

Jamie Moyer and Getting Old

I started to feel old watching Wednesday's Cubs 4-1 win over the Phillies. The thought of getting old might have had something to do with the Phils 47 year old starting pitcher. But Jamie Moyer sure didn't pitch like he was old.
Moyer pitched 7 innings, gave up 2 runs on four hits and a walk. He struck out 7, while his changeup completely baffled the Cubs hitters. This coming only one start after becoming the oldest pitcher in MLB history to throw a complete game shutout. If Moyer continues like this, he'll be the oldest pitcher in MLB history doing a lot of things this season.
So no, it wasn't Moyer's performance making me feel old. If I'd bothered to look at his profile and see that he made his major league debut before I was born, in a Cubs uniform, perhaps I would have felt young again.
I attribute the awareness of my age to my nieces and nephew. They're my girlfriend's nieces and nephew, technically not mine, but they call me uncle, so I feel I can call them that.
At any given time during the game, one would be pulling my arm to my left, the other to the right, and the third child doing some sort of Irish jig while standing on my knees.
Some other great moments that happened yesterday: I got my hat stolen, which pleased me because it was a Cubs hat and they took turns wearing it. I got my hair combed, and butterfly hair pins put in my hair.
I received kisses on the cheek, and pizza sauce on my jeans. I had to make an incredible catch, when I realized a football was coming my way, and I helped sound out a few words from the new High School Musical book.
Five years ago this might have annoyed me. I expect a hand in my face on the basketball court, but not while I'm trying to watch the 4th inning. Watching a kid spin around until they fall over can be fun, but not in front of the TV, during a crucial at bat in the 7th.
This sequence of events is what led to me to contemplate fatherhood, not just for myself, but all the other fathers out there with young children. How do they do it? Do they just accept that the TV is going to be blocked 75 percent of the time, or do they send their kids to their rooms? Will I be able to accept this? Your kids tend to follow what you like anyway, so you can try and convince them that watching baseball is the "cool" thing to do. This approach probably doesn't work for more than five minutes, until they get bored.
My nieces and nephew will be moving soon and I won't be able to see them very often anymore. I realized that the moments you're getting your hair pulled and having the pictures they drew shoved in your face are more valuable than an early season baseball game. I'll always remember those moments, I'll forget the score of the game next week.
I wonder if Jamie Moyer has a similar moment during the regular season when he starts to think about getting old. With the way he's been pitching, probably not.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment