Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Spain vs. Netherlands World Cup Final

After the US was eliminated in the round of 16, my rooting interest in the World Cup was officially over. I still couldn't get enough of soccer, so I continued to watch the games, and decided to just enjoy them for what they were. You can't imagine how much of a relief it is, in a way, to just sit back and watch a competitive sport without a care in the world who wins.
But I have to admit, I did have a rooting interest in the semifinals. I was hoping for a Spain and Netherlands match-up, and I always get what I want. Well, not really. I'm sure you've heard the latest LeBron rumors.
A Spain-Netherlands matchup is so intriguing for a number of reasons. The main one of course being that a new champion will be crowned. Two countries with rich soccer histories and neither has won a World Cup. That will all change come Sunday. Miraculously, Spain has never been in a World Cup final, and the Netherlands, not since 1978. A win for either team will be great for their country and even better for the sport. Here's a few other intriguing story lines for the championship game:
Both teams know how to grind it out. Spain's last four victories have been decided by one goal. The Dutch have won all six of their matches, their last five by one goal. In a championship game that will likely be decided by a goal, both teams have demonstrated their poise in close games.
David Villa and Wesley Sneijder battle it out for the Golden Boot. It's fitting that the two top goal scorers have the chance to put themselves in the lead against each other. While I'm sure neither cares as much about the award as they do the victory, a goal by either would make the moment that much sweeter.
Fernando Torres tries to break his goalless streak. Watching Pedro trying to go one on one rather than passing it off to a wide open Torres during Wednesday's game made me cringe a little. Torres was so clearly open, and Pedro knew it but wanted to try and score for himself. But on the bright side, Torres is still without a goal, and will make the perfect scapegoat should Spain lose in the final.
An all Europe final!!! Ok, I'm not really excited about this, but it wasn't looking good for Europe for a while there. Early exits for the French and Italians, the looming threat of Brazil and Argentina, not to mention Paraguay and Uruguay. Despite the early chaos, things have worked out as planned, sort of. Let Europe have their fun, I say. They did invent the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment