Thursday, July 29, 2010

Dez Bryant Refuses to Carry Football

Only a few days removed from refusing to carry Cowboys veteran wide receiver Roy Williams' pads as part of a rookie hazing tradition, Dez Bryant has once again refused a request. During Thursday's afternoon walk through, the rookie wide receiver refused to carry the football.
The Cowboys offense was running through plays, and quarterback Tony Romo called for a play action reverse. The play required Bryant to wait for Romo to fake the handoff to his running back, and then come through the backfield to take the handoff. Bryant refused.
"I'm not here to carry the football," Bryant said. "Tashard [Choice, Cowboys running back] can carry his own damn football."
Romo was a little puzzled by Bryant's outburst. "It honestly kind of surprised me," Romo told reporters. "Normally receivers are looking for any way they can to get involved in the offense, whether it be through the air or on the ground. Especially rookies because they aren't guaranteed a big role right off the bat."
"I wasn't brought in to carry someones football," Bryant said. "They got like three running backs here. What the hell are they here for? You're going to have three running backs and expect me to carry the football? Nah."
Bryant's reaction has prompted other players to get involved with the highly controversial subject of receivers being forced to carry footballs for the running backs.
Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin, the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year last year, felt that Bryant should pay his dues.
"Coming out of Florida, I was operating under the assumption that running backs carry the football and us receivers don't have to worry about that," Harvin said. "But they do it different up here. I paid my dues, listened to the veterans like Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor, and look where it got me."
Bryant has reportedly come to terms with the Cowboys offense, and insists that his refusal was blown out of proportion.
"I wasn't aware of the tradition," Bryant said. "Had I known that it was customary for me to carry Tashard or Felix or Marion's football, I would have not made a big deal about it. No problems here, just a little mix up."
Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips has denied reports that Bryant has also refused to make tackles should a defensive back intercept a pass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment