Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Decision: EPL Team Choice

While the rest of you were enamored with LeBron James's hour long decision making special, I, in fact, had a pretty big decision of my own. While it didn't generate the interest of ten million viewers like LeBron's did, e-mails have been pouring into my inbox about a rumored decision to switch allegiances and root for an English Premier League team.
I'd been waiting for the right time to reveal my decision, but the rumor is true. After watching the last three World Cups I've come to realize that my rooting interest deserves to be seen on a bigger scale. The MLS and Chicago Fire just aren't cutting it anymore.
Below are excerpts of my decision, which was also hosted by Jim Gray.
Gray: Hello Joe, how are you? How has your summer been?
Me: You know Jim, it's been a rough summer. The Cubs are eleven games under .500, nine and half games out. The US team was eliminated in the round of 16. It's looking like JJ Redick could be the make or break signing for the Bulls this offseason. It's been rough Jim, to say the least.
Gray: I hear you there. Describe what this selection process was like?
Me: It's been great. I got the chance to meet with three different teams, all of which impressed me very much. They all have a strong will to win and presented to me very clearly what their goals were for the future, and how I fit into them.
Gray: There have been a lot of rumors circulating, but in order to build suspense, why don't you reveal your top three choices now.
Me: Ok, my top three choices are Manchester City, Everton, and Tottenham Hotspur.
Gray: What was your criteria for narrowing your allegiance down to those three?
Me: A number of things. Firstly, I didn't want to jump on to a bandwagon. Manchester United has won five titles in the last ten years, Chelsea has won three, and the Arsenal two. I immediately ruled those three teams out.
I was also looking for teams that have shown in the past they can be competitive, as well as World Cup performers that I recognize. It's important that the team I choose to root for will be in no danger of falling out of the Premier League, and that I'm at least familiar with some of the players.
Gray: Are you a nail biter?
Me: Yes I am. I also tend to bite the skin around the nail if I have already chewed the nail down.
Gray: Well, I think it's time Joe. Are you ready to announce your decision?
Me: I am. Man this is tough. After considering all of my options and talking with my friends and family about what is right for me, I've decided to take my rooting interest to North London and root for the Tottenham Hotspur next year.
Gray: Congratulations on your decision! I have to say this decision has come as somewhat of a shock to followers of the league. While the Spurs finished fourth last year, they've only won two top division titles in their history, the last coming in the 1960-61 season.
Me: You have to remember Jim, I'm used to rooting for shitty teams. It wouldn't feel right if I rooted for a good team. You say the Spurs haven't won in 50 years, I say I wish it had only been 50 years since the Cubs won.
Gray: What were some of the pieces in place that attracted you to the Spurs?
Me: It's all about the strikers Jim, and they have one of the EPL's best in Jermain Defoe who scored 18 goals last season. They also have a great up and coming player in Giovani dos Santos, who is half-Brazilian, so you know he's at least half good. And how can I forget about Peter Crouch. He's the type of guy that I just think a British person looks like. When someone says Brit, I think of someone like him, except a foot shorter.
Gray: Were there any other factors that contributed to your decision?
Me: Yes, two of them, actually. The first is their uniform colors: a combination of white, yellow, and dark blue, a la the West Virginia Mountaineers. I wanted to make sure the EPL team I root for doesn't have the same colors as another team I root for so it was a perfect fit.
Second factor was that the Spurs already have a built in rivalry with the Arsenal. Cubs-Cardinals, Bears-Packers, Wisconsin-Minnesota, hopefully Bulls-Heat, I'm used to great rivalries, and by all accounts, this is a great one.
Gray: When did you make the decision?
Me: You know, this morning, really. I kept switching my mind back and forth and then it all really hit me when I had a conversation with my mom. She told me that I have to do what will make me happy, and that's when I knew the Spurs were the right choice.
Gray: Now the producer is telling me I have to show this. I don't know if you can see the footage, but that is a group of fans in Chicago burning a Fire jersey that you used to wear. The irony is delicious. Did you expect this? And how does that image make you feel?
Me: The real fans support me and understand my decision. Those aren't real fans. Real fans don't get passionate about a franchise and then get upset when another fan decides to denounce his allegiance on national television. If the Fire decided that they no longer wanted me as a fan, I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't go and burn their stadium down.
Gray: Is there anything you want to say to the city of Chicago?
Me: Yeah. We had eight great years together and I enjoyed my time there so much. I appreciate all of the real fans who stuck by me and will continue to stick by me. We made a deep run in the playoffs many times but were never able to get over the hump. I'd just like to thank all of the great coaches and players who made that happen, but it's time for me to move on.
Gray: I understand you have an announcement?
Me: Yes. I'd just like to say that all of the proceeds from tonight will be donated to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Beverly Hills CA, Greenwich CT, and Westchester NY. I thank everyone for tuning in and helping out a good cause.
Gray: Thanks for bringing me back from obscurity and allowing me to work again Joe. Congratulations again on your decision and good luck in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment