Friday, October 15, 2010

What's In A (Fantasy Basketball) Name?

Do you play fantasy sports? Of course you do, I shouldn't have bothered asking. About a quarter of all adult males who are young enough to know how to use a computer do. The next time you're in a bar watching football, try to decipher some of the conversation going on around you. At some point, that conversation will turn to fantasy numbers. It doesn't matter if "RB X" rushed for 17 yards in the first three quarters. If "RB X" rips a 40 yard TD run in the 4th, he had a good day. Some people can't even tell you what the score of the game was, but they know how many fantasy points each player put up.
Drafting and following your team is a lot of fun, but picking a team name can almost be just as thrilling. I've seen enough "Southside Hitmen," "Ball Busters," and "Rim Job"-type names to know a little creativity in a name goes a long way.
While not funny, I've settled for quirky yet common terms used in the particular sport to choose my team names. A couple of recent ones, "5-4-3 Double Play" for baseball, and "Two and a Half Steps" for basketball. Those names aren't funny but at least you can tell I tried.
One rule I've always adhered to when picking a team name is the "Don't name your team after a player rule." The reason being I would feel not only obligated to draft that player, but reach in the draft for him so that he's not taken under my nose.
I've made two exceptions to this rule. Last year's fantasy football name was "Vick's Pitbulls," and this year's is "Tebow's Tears." Both were OK because neither player was expected to contribute much.
Last year, Vick played sparingly, and this year, it doesn't look like Tebow will play at all. It's easy not to handcuff yourself to players who aren't playing.
I broke the rule again.
I didn't mean to, but a name so fantastic popped into my head that I just had to. "Rose Before Hoes" combines my favorite player and plays on one of my least favorite phrases. That's a winning combination.
While searching for a team avatar, I found that Rose did a GQ photshoot for the January 2010 issue. Maybe Rose isn't the model type, maybe they dressed him up in ways that basketball players shouldn't be dressed up, but this picture he took for the magazine was perfect for a homosexuality-influenced team name like "Rose Before Hoes."
So the question is: Do I reach for D. Rose?
Depends on the rest of the managers in my league. In my baseball league last year, their was a team named "Longoria Time No See." He had either the fifth or sixth overall pick and took Longoria. Before he did, the other managers encouraged him to, and maybe even left Longoria on the board so that guy could take his team's namesake.
On the other hand, you have managers like myself, who take the whole fantasy sports thing a little too seriously. In this year's football draft there was a team named "Romo 4 MVP." Stupid name. Probably the reason I didn't respect him. Anyway, it's my pick in the 3rd round, I need a quarterback, Romo is the best one available. Am I going to sit around and wait for "Romo 4 MVP" to draft him? Of course not.
It all depends on whether managers are drafting to win or drafting their favorite players, or allowing others to.
There's plenty of great point guards, eight of which put up better fantasy numbers than Rose last year. Rose's ranking is lowered because he doesn't put up the assists typical of a point guard. I'm hoping Boozer, Korver, and an overall improved offensive game plan will change that.
I long for the day if/when I make enough money to join a large stakes fantasy sports money league. Maybe then I'll have an excuse to care this much.

2 comments:

  1. its very good post about Dentist .It all depends on whether managers are drafting to win or drafting their favorite players.fantasy basketball

    ReplyDelete
  2. I long for the day if when I make enough to join a large stakes fantasy sports money league.Maybe then ill have an excuse to care this much.
    Nice offer. Thank you for sharing with us.fantasy basketball

    ReplyDelete