Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Favorite Sports Hair Part 5 (John Clay)

I haven't updated this series in a long time, and I can't think of a better athlete to usher in its resurrection than Wisconsin running back John Clay. Actually, Clay's hair would fall into the "My Least Favorite Sports Hair" category, but that category doesn't exist, so I put him here. Also, I'm all about positivity. I can't imagine constructing a piece molded around negativity. Just kidding, that piece will probably come next Tuesday.
Anyway, Clay's hair represents the new age athlete. It incorporates a mohawk, symbols shaved into one's head, and unmeasurable amounts of swag.
If there's three things I don't understand its mohawks, the desire to have symbols shaved into your head, and swag. Maybe that's why I just don't get it.
For reference, here's a video of Clay's hair. I couldn't find a picture, but this video actually illustrates it better because you can see both sides.
If you direct your attention to the upper right side of his head, it looks like Clay has laces shaved into his head. I didn't notice this detail before watching video. If those are in fact supposed to be the laces of a football, I can respect this haircut a little more.
My main gripe is with the stars on both sides. Starts to me are a bit feminine. And believe me, the only way a 6'1, 248 pound bruising running back could look feminine is if he has stars shaved into his head. Couldn't Clay have come up with something a little better? Like say Bucky Badger, the Heisman Trophy, or even the Capitol Building.
Come to think of it, those figures might be a little hard shave. My only experience with trying to get something shaved into my head was at age 7 or 8. My entire baseball team was shaving their number into the back of their heads. I was number 8. I asked the hairdresser to shave an 8 and she told me that it would end up looking like two squares on top of each other. Did I want another number? No. I wished I'd had an easy number like 11.
In all seriousness, Clay has continued his outstanding sophomore effort into the early part of this year. Despite sharing carries with Montee Ball and James White, Clay has still managed to surpass 100 yards in each of the Badgers' first three victories. On the year, Clay has amassed 383 yards on 62 carries.
If this pace continues and the Badgers find themselves in the Rose Bowl at the end of the year, Clay will be one of the select few invited to the Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York City.
Just as exciting, Clay is currently 10th on the Wisconsin all-time rushing leaders list with 2,784 yards. While Ron Dayne's 7,125 is out of the question, if he stays healthy and returns for his senior season, Clay should pass Anthony Davis for second on the all-time list.
Thankfully for us, we're able so see Clay run over opponents with a helmet on. Besides protecting him from concussions and other important things like that, his helmet also covers up that hideous mohawk hybrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment